Solitaire Whizz: News and Known Issues
This page lists known issues with the current version of Solitaire Whizz Compendium for iPad which are due to be fixed in the next release. It also includes a list of improvements and new features which are due to be added.
Solitaire Whizz released for macOS!
Solitaire Whizz is now available for macOS. So whether you're looking for Free Cell for macOS
or want to try your hand at some of the less known varieties, all 32 games included in the iPad edition are now available for OS X.
Version 2.1.0 released 22 September 2016
As well as a compatibility fix for iOS 10, this version features 4 new variants specifically aimed at Free Cell fans!
- two variants of Baker's Game, a forerunner to Free Cell described by amateur mathematician Martin Gardener in his
column in Scientific American in 1968 and attributed to computer scientist C. L. Baker;
- a "strict" version of Free Cell;
- a lesser known variant, which may have a shared ancestry with Baker's Game, entitled Napoleon På S:t Helena
(Napoleon at St Helena, not to be confused with other games of the same name)
described in a Swedish solitaire compendium by Einar Werner in 1948.
This makes Solitaire Whizz a comprehensive compendium for exploring the history of Free Cell on your iPad!
Version 2.0 released June 2016
This major update includes a completely revised graphics engine with improved visual effects.
Version 1.5 released 15 May 2014
Version 1.5 of Solitaire Whizz for iPad is now available. The update features the following:
- New games: Poker Solitaire, Canfield, Odd & Even, Peek
- Improved graphics and other UI enhancements
- An improved move suggestion function which now displays the suggested move more clearly on screen
The update also includes a few minor fixes and optimisations.
Pyramid 13 released in Spanish
4 December 2013 The latest version of Pyramid 13 Solitaire Free now includes Spanish translations of all in-game instructions and hints. The App Store description has also been translated into German and includes full instructions in German.
"Klondike Collection" released
25 October 2013 The aforepromised Klondike Solitaire Collection is now available in the App Store for
the princely sum of zilch. Enjoy!
"Klondike Collection" App coming soon
18 October 2013 A new app, Klondike Solitaire Collection, is due to be released
for iPad by the end of the month. The app is currently pending approval from Apple and more details will be posted here shortly.
Version 1.3 released 24 September 2013
Version 1.3 adds the following four games to Solitaire Whizz, bringing the total up to 24:
- Baker's Dozen
Version 1.2 released 17 June 2013
Version 1.2 brings various enhancements to Solitaire Whizz, including:
- four new solitaire games: Spider, Spiderette, Whitehead and Fourteens;
- new much improved graphics;
- an "auto-move" feature for building games such as FreeCell and Solitaire;
- some minor issues with hints in Golf and progress calculation in Scorpion.
Issues fixed in Version 1.1 (Released May 2013)
- The version of Freecell included in Solitaire Whizz Version 1.0 only allowed Kings to fill empty columns in the tableau. In Version 1.1, any card (or sequence) may fill an empty column, in line with other common versions of Freecell. This observation also applies to Hardcell.
- In Pyramid, the program will occasionally say that there are no moves left when in fact there is still a possible move left.
- In Monte Carlo, the program will sometimes not recognise the end of the game. In Version 1.1, the game end (either completion or failure) is now recognised correctly.
- When the app suggests that you should make a re-deal, pressing the "Tip" icon does not repeat this suggestion. In Version 1.1, this issue is fixed in various cases.
Latest update: 19 November 2016